Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Council Meeting May 27th

Last night was an uneventful meeting in comparison.  All of the recently re-elected candidates were sworn in.  I was fortunate enough to have my lovely bride of 39 years at my side to celebrate the occasion.  It was also noted that a metal detector was positioned at the front entrance to screen people entering the Council Chamber.  This is a result of a group that wanted to bring guns to council meetings.  It proved to be a non event last night.

One item of note was the issue of red light cameras.  My personal opinion is that if a vote came up tomorrow to remove them from our city, I would support it.  But since we do currently have them, and if you are caught on video running a red light, then I believe that you should pay the fine.  I have been caught twice by these cameras and I paid the fine both times.  I didn’t think that I ran a red light but the video showed without a doubt that I did.  Therefore I paid the fines.  If you do the crime, then pay the fine.

Last night we voted 9-0 to block car registration if you have outstanding red light fines.  37,000 people have outstanding warrants for red light violations.  Although I don’t like the cameras, I cannot condone violating the law without some retribution.  That is why I voted in favor of this ordinance change.   

6 comments:

  1. Are there any statistics available to show whether or not accidents at intersections with the cameras have been reduced, gone up or remained about the same? My wife and I both got caught. Like you, the video very clearly documented the infraction. There was no doubt in my mind. We paid the fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lonnie I have heard arguments on both sides of the fence saying that, these cameras cause more and less accidents. So I really don't know which to believe. Kinda depends on which side of the argument you are trying to prove. I do feel that we could do without them altogether. The revenue to the city is of little consequence to me. But to get caught red handed running a red, then thumbing your nose at the fine is unconscionable, and I willl certainly not encourage breaking the law without some form of restitution. I think that behavior, if prevelant, would increase accidents in our city.

      Delete
    2. If the data is available, it might be a good thing to present so that it can be determined if the red light cameras are helpful or harmful. Once the data is presented, takes a lot of the BS out of the debate. I agree with your view. Once you are confronted with clear proof you screwed up, pay the piper and move on.

      Delete
    3. Seems as though he's to lazy to look at data that is out there and available. There are statistics...Learn to use Google. It can be a great thing.

      Delete
  2. There has to be a better way to promote safety other than having to resort to fine. I recognize it's an easy measure to implement and adds money to the bottom line but why weren't other measures considered (extending the yellow/red, adding a count down timer, etc) before just slapping up red light cameras? Does the person who reviews the video have the option of not issuing a fine if there are mitigating circumstances (bad road conditions, traffic, etc)? I'm not going to pretend to know the numbers but it often "appears" that the ones who are causing the accidents run through the light well after it has changed. I just wonder how many who are fined just caught (light turned red 1/10th of second before entering the intersection)? I know I have been in a situation where I just happen to glance in my rear view or side mirror than look back at the road way and light is yellow. Do I slam on the brakes or risk running through it. Anyway, I hope the decision as to whether they stay or goes eventually makes it to where we the people can determine its fate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To date there has been over 37,000 people that have not paid their red light tickets. Is that ridiculous? So if we simply extended the yellow time, you know as I, that people would still try to beat the yellow. I don't like the red light cameras either, but it illustrates to me that people will continue to run the reds and cause accidents.

      The baby that was killed on California St. last Thursday was a result of someone running a red light. In the grand scheme of things, someone ran a red light and killed a baby that was in a stroller waiting to cross the street. What is it going to take to be a responsible citizen in this day and age?

      Delete

Thank you for your comment.